Areas of Interest
Labor Economics, Industrial Organization, International Trade
- PhD in Economics from the University of Pittsburgh, 1992
- MA in Economics from the University of Pittsburgh, 1990
- BS in Economics from the University of Delaware, 1987
- Research Economist, U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics (September 2000-present)
- Adjunct Professor, Johns Hopkins University (May 2005-August 2007)
- Senior Research Fellow, Centre for the Study of Globalisation and Regionalisation, University of Warwick, England (March 1998-August 2000)
- Lecturer, Department of Economics, University of St. Andrews, Scotland (August 1995-February 1998)
- Visiting Scholar, Department of Economics, University of Pittsburgh (July 1994-July 1995)
- International Economist, Research Division, U.S. International Trade Commission (June 1993-June 1994)
- CentER fellow at Tilburg University, Holland (September 1992-May 1993)
- “Intertemporal Non-separability and Dynamic Oligopoly,” 2017, forthcoming in Dynamic Games and Applications (with Curtis Eberwein). An optimal taxation application that was removed from the accepted version.
- “Firm Dynamics and the Minimum Wage: A Putty-Clay Approach,” 2016, forthcoming in International Economic Review (with D. Aaronson, E. French and I. Sorkin).
- “Antidumping, Signaling and Cheap Talk,” 2008, Journal of International Economics, 75(2), 373-382, (with Jim Cassing).
- “A Theory of Credit Cards,” 2007, International Journal of Industrial Organization, 25(3), 583-595, (with Bob Chakravorti).
- “Strategic Resource Extraction, Capital Accumulation and Overlapping Generations,” 2005, Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, 50(2), 378-386 (with Len Mirman).
- “Is Perfect Price Discrimination Really Efficient? Product Variety with Free Entry,” 2004, RAND Journal of Economics, 35(4), 762-776 (with V. Bhaskar).
- “Oligopsony and Monopsonistic Competition in Labor Markets,” 2002, Journal of Economic Perspectives, 16(2), 155–174, (with V. Bhaskar and Alan Manning).
- “Can Reducing Barriers to Entry Worsen Market Performance? A Model of Employee Entry,” 2001, International Journal of Industrial Organization, 19(5), 695–704, (with Andrew Burke).
- “Consumer Switching Costs and Private Information,” 1999, Economics Letters, 63, 369–375, (with Erick Elder).
- “Dynamics and Discriminatory Import Policy,” 1999, Canadian Journal of Economics, 32(4), 1072–83.
- “Minimum Wages for Ronald McDonald Monopsonies: A Theory of Monopsonistic Competition,” 1999, The Economic Journal, 109, 190–203, (with V. Bhaskar).
- “Risk and Evolution,” 1999, Economic Theory, 13(2), 329–343.
- “Multi-Period Competition with Switching Costs: An Overlapping Generations Formulation,” 1996, Journal of Industrial Economics, 44, 81–87.
- “Export Subsidies and Oligopoly with Switching Costs,” 1994, Journal of International Economics, 37, 97–110.
- “Infant Industry Protection with Oligopoly and Learning-by-Doing,” 1994, Journal of International Trade and Economic Development, 3, 199–212.
- “Domestic Trade and Transportation Costs as Barriers to International Trade,” 1993, Canadian Journal of Economics, 26, 208–221, (with Donald Rousslang).
- “More Realism in the Prisoner's Dilemma,” 1988, Journal of Conflict Resolution, 32, 402–408.
- “Monopsonistic Competition in Formal and Informal Labor Markets,” 2009, in Labor Markets and Economic Development, ed. R. Kanbur and J. Svejnar, New York: Routledge Press.
- “Job Dispersion and Compensating Wage Differentials,” September 2014, (with Paul Sullivan).
Work in Progress
- “Consumer Heterogeneity and the Market Provision of Quality: The Puzzle of the Smoking Ban,” March 2012, (with V. Bhaskar).
Other Professional Activities
Associate Editor European Economic Review (2003-2012).
Referee for American Economic Journal: Microeconomics, American Economic Review, Bulletin of Economic Research, Canadian Journal of Economics, Economica, Economics Bulletin, International Economic Journal, International Economic Review, International Journal of Industrial Organization, Journal of Economic Behavior and Organization, Journal of Economic Inequality, Journal of Economics, Journal of Economics and Management Strategy, Journal of Economic Theory, Journal of Human Resources, Journal of Industrial Economics, Journal of Institutional and Theoretical Economics, Journal of International Economics, Journal of International Economic Integration, Journal of International Trade and Economic Development, Journal of Labor Economics, Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Labour Economics, Manchester School, Operations Research, Oxford University Press, RAND Journal of Economics, Review of Economic Dynamics, Review of Economic Studies, Review of Industrial Organization, Review of International Economics, Southern Economic Journal and Theoretical Economics.